99 replies to this topic

#1 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

I talked with Ted today and we are discussing doing our last-of-the-season meet and greet in front of the store on October 15th. Larry and I changed our vacation weekend so that we can be there for it.

Cathy, I'm dropping off the meet and greet things at SCD tomorrow for your meet and greet. I put everything but the display board in a very large GREEN plastic bin to keep it all together. If you can bring them back to Arda's when you are done, I can pick them up before the 15th.

Please check your calendars and let me know who is able to attend. We might bring one or both of our beasts to this one because there won't be a ton of dogs. They do love the people!!! It's a totally different environment.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#2 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

As of right now, that date works for me... and like you Jane with T&T, Bella could attend because it is not as many other dogs...

I can print up the Purina flyer inserts so we can have them too...

Ella, I dug out the "plastic cardboard" stuff but have to measure it... I'll let you know the sizes...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#3 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:59 PM

I may POSSIBLY be able to come to this one!!! :D

I'm hoping, anyways...I feel like a little kid who's been grounded forever by her parents, the way I haven't been able to do anything or go anywhere lately....

Anyone want to adopt a 35 year old father of two? He's REALLY good with kids!! May have to work on the "husband" qualities a bit, though, he's a little rough around the edges with the appreciation merit award.

:D

I know, this is horrible...just venting in a "joking" manner in here....Would LOVE to do the M&G, though! :D

Edited by Jennymay, 20 September 2005 - 02:08 PM.

#4 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

THANKS JANE!

I will MAKE SURE it is all back there the following week. :D

Hopefully I will sell everything and if not take it to your M&G.
With a little luck we just might raise enough to pay for heat AND do SOME runs? Lets keep truckin.... The more we can do, the more it helps all the furkids :D

cathy
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#5 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

:D Jane, "where" is the "Store" and how do I get there??? When, etc.
If I can I would love to bring Abbey, she is sooo good with everyone and everything...not positive the date will work but pretty close.
If you could or one of you could let me know the details of this, what to do where to do it, etc, as I've never done it before and am clueless.
THANK YOU Jane, y'all,
suzi :D
"let them (man) rule over all the earth, the fish, birds, livetock, all that move on the ground. Gen 1:26" Seems some misunderstood the word "rule" and exchanged it for "cruel", and now I give thanks to God for the "rescue angels".

#6 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:00 PM

Suzi,

Below is the address for the tenative meet and greet in Canton, on Oct. 15. Maybe you can do a Mapquest to see how far it is from when you live. Basically we have a table set up outside the store and we educate the public about the Doberman breed and SCD. The adoption booket is there, along with a trifold display board of pics taken at various other events. We also have several different educational brochures set out for people to take. Some of us bring our dogs. Hope this helps!

Cheryl

Pet Supplies Plus
43665 Ford Rd
Canton MI 48187

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#7 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:07 PM

Jane,

I'm not going to commit myself at this time. I'd like to keep my schedule open just in case the opportunity to work becomes available. I'll let you know as the date draws nearer.

Cheryl
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#8 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:29 PM

Suzi, it would be great if you could come! Yes, as Cheryl suggested, do go to mapquest and see how far it would be for you. Normally we only stay for about 4 to 6 hours or so, during peak shopping. We make sure to bring our own chair, water, dog bowl, doggie treats, blanket or pad for our dogs to sit on. The store front has an overhang so it shelters us from rain, but the cement is hard on the dogs so we bring blankets and pads for them to sit/lay on. Dobes tend to get cold easily (especially Tango, my old dearheart) so a blanket to wrap around her if she is laying down is important.

We greet the people entering the store and many are just enchanted by the dobes. They've never come up close and personal with them before and it is quite the memorable experience for them. When possible we try to have more than one color there so that they can see the variety in the breed. We answer questions about SCD and rescue and have dog snacks for those who have dogs with them. There is a SubWay a few doors down so we can get food and go to the bathroom too.

Cheryl made some GREAT bags with dog snacks and a SCD brochure for the last one. Oh, that reminds me ... Cathy, I put Cheryl's snack bags in the Meet and Greet Box. You can put them out on the table for those who donate. Just pack up the extras and we will use them on the 15th. They are REALLY CUTE! Ted said that it was a great idea!

Jenny May it would be GREAT to see you. I hope you can come! Cheryl, yes, let me know at a later date. Joni, I don't know if the Kiwanis are going to be there or not , but Ted was going to ask them and see if the date was okay with them. They would set up next to us out there.

Kevin, is there a way you and Kathye could make it with Bubbles and Diamond? Ted is in love with Bubbles and the crowd is in love with Diamond! They just make a beeline for the white dobe and she's a real conversation starter. I understand if it's an adoption day you wouldn't be able to. Let me know, okay? Oh, and Ted was interested in the ribbon magnets. He said that he would be able to sell tons of them if they just said "RESCUE" on them. He has one but didn't know where you got them. He then noticed the website on them so maybe he'll order his own. But you could talk to him about it and see if he will sell them for the Rescues.

Anything I missed?

Oh, Suzi, there is another topic about a Meet and Greet in Canton that we did before at Pet Supplies Plus. Tons of pictures which should give you the flavor of the event. It's probably a couple of pages back under "General Discussion."

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#9 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:29 AM

Excellent job Jane! :D

-Arda Barber

#10 emily

emily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:35 AM

How long do these usually last? I actually work about 2 miles away from the Pet Supplies Plus in Canton - I go in there sometimes during lunch to pick up goodies for the girls! Sounds like fun. Maybe I will stop out and meet some of you guys!

#11 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

I'm going to mark it on my calendar. It's my Thanksgiving the week BEFORE, so that won't be an issue....us darn Canadians, eh?? HAHAHA
I think I'll try to bring both kids, even though Miss Kizz isn't from SCD, she's STILL an honorary kid of Arda's... :D

Ok, the ONLY thing that could hold me back from this one would be John's next surgery...which we don't know WHEN it'll be, but it's out of town, so we'll have to see.
Ok, darlin's, have a great one!!!

FANTASTIC work, Madame Jane!!! As always, you're right on top of things! :D

#12 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

I think I'll try to bring both kids, even though Miss Kizz isn't from SCD, she's STILL an honorary kid of Arda's...  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neither is Miss Bella but I still take her because she is a good example of our breed... if a little dog reactive. HA!!!

Joni
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

#13 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:00 AM

Joni,
Kizzy is in DESPERATE need of socialization. She's VERY timid when it comes to people and I need to break that in her. She LOVES people after a few minutes, (like, 20-30 minutes, not just a few) don't get me wrong, but is turning into a HUGE mummy/daddy girl, and gets VERY skittish with new people, and being only 6 months, I want to nip it in the bud. Arda noticed that about her in the first 2 minutes of meeting her. I may just leave Brody at home, that way I can concentrate on helping Kizzy with her shyness.
She's such a little sweetheart, I know she'll open up to people once in the situation. I'll also see if Stef wants to come, and maybe she'll want to bring Tux along? We'll see....Stef hasn't done a M&G before, so it would probably be great exposure for Tux.

Ok, CIAO!!! :D

Edited by Jennymay, 21 September 2005 - 10:22 AM.

#14 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:14 AM

THANK YOU JANE!!! Right now it is all dependent on if our kids and grandbabies will be here from Virginia (wouldn't miss a breath with them for anything), but I think they will have been here and left by then (HATE that) so will need something to refocus me. I will do ALL that I can to come and bring Abbey, she is a WONDERFUL ambassador for the Doberman.
Thanks again Jane, you're super!
Suzi :D
"let them (man) rule over all the earth, the fish, birds, livetock, all that move on the ground. Gen 1:26" Seems some misunderstood the word "rule" and exchanged it for "cruel", and now I give thanks to God for the "rescue angels".

#15 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

Whoever sets up these M&G's must work the opposite weekend that I work. Oct 15th is AGAIN my weekend to work. This isn't fair. Titan is your perfect greeter. He loves people. C'mon, guys, something has to be set up on a weekend we can come....please.

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#16 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:58 PM

Whoever sets up these M&G's must work the opposite weekend that I work.  Oct 15th is AGAIN my weekend to work.  This isn't fair.  Titan is your perfect greeter.  He loves people.  C'mon, guys, something has to be set up on a weekend we can come....please.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel your pain!!! Every time we had a work day there for a while... I was busy!!!

Joni

#17 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:39 PM

Boy I've been gone for a day and I've missed everything. Princess and I would love to come out and meet and greet everyone.
Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#18 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

How long do these usually last? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Around 4-6 hours.

-Arda Barber

#19 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:34 PM

Chyna, Ruby, and myself would love to join you all, but I have to work that weekend also. I don't know yet if I have to work days or nites, but if it's nites, I can be there:) Obviously if it's days, I can't. I will keep you posted though.
Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#20 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:39 AM

How long do these usually last?  I actually work about 2 miles away from the Pet Supplies Plus in Canton - I go in there sometimes during lunch to pick up goodies for the girls!  Sounds like fun.  Maybe I will stop out and meet some of you guys!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Emily we are pretty low-key at our M&G's... We try to have a dobe of every color but are happy with whoever can come with whatever dog they have... You come when you can and leave when you have to... Just bring a chair for you and a pad/pillow for your pup (or crate if necessary) and water/bowl etc... Someone usually has pickup bags for "doggie output" but it never hurts to have a few of those and some handiwipes (or kleenex :D )

We have a box for our "M&G supplies" so we should be pretty covered there and unless Miss Cathy hands them all out, we should be pretty good on flyers etc...

Don't worry about stupid questions, we love 'em!!! Ask away!!!

Joni

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users