139 replies to this topic

#81 JennyPlum

JennyPlum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:23 AM

It is so fun to see pictures posted here!!
Thank you for sharing, Sky is beautiful... and seems to be having a good time!!
What are the reunions like? I've heard them mentioned a few times in the discussion board.
They sound like a great idea, but I know Arda's probably recovering and might not be up to it.
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

#82 dobbiehearted

dobbiehearted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:55 PM

what fun pics :innocent:
My Beloved Lexa (April 1998 --Jan 2008)
My Cherished Loki -SCD ( May 2008- August 2012) *
http://www.secondcha...ic=6378&hl=loki
Baby Koda

#83 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

I love the pictures of Sky! She sure looks like she is having fun with the mole!

The reunions are a lot of Dober-fun, but JennyPlum is right, Arda is recovering from knee surgery and isn't up to having the reunion this year. If we are able to have one next year, it will be announced far enough in advance so everybody can make plans! :innocent:
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#84 Reidfamily

Reidfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Hello Everyone-

Well, Sky is in surgery right now. She was chasing a squirrel and barrelled into a pine tree. Some cut branches were sticking out (neighbors yard) and she gashed her shoulder pretty good. It was pretty scary. We thought the squirrel got her but it turned out the tree got her. We're supposed to pick her up by 2pm. I'll keep everyone updated but please be thinking of her.

Bonnie

#85 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

Bonnie, Sky is in our thoughts. The things these furkids can get in to. Let us know how she is when you pick her up.

mary and T

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#86 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

[Sorry to here about Sky. Prayers and dobe feet crossed for speedy recovery.

#87 Reidfamily

Reidfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

Well, she's home safe and still quite out of it. I'm not too impressed with the Animal Hospital right now though. They actually expected her to walk. My husband carried her and her wound bled a bit. They left it uncovered and it has a drain tube. Her eyes are open and she's whining a lot though I don't think she's quite fully conscious. It's hard to watch her go through this but she'll get quite a bit of babying in the next few days I'm sure. Just for my piece of mind, I think I'll take her in to our vet in the morning so he can check out what the hospital did (if I think she's up to it). She is supposed to go in three days to get the drain taken out. They gave us pain pills and antibiotics for her. Stitches come out in 10 days. (Heavy sigh).

I keep trying to tell her the squirrels move but the trees don't! I guess it was just a matter of time. She's done a header into the side of the house and bumped into the deck furniture more times than I can count while running to the back door. She's got speed but maneuverability...forget about it.

Edited by Reidfamily, 26 October 2008 - 04:00 PM.

#88 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

Good thought's being sent for Sky and a speedy recovery. Seems it takes forever for them to learn "control" and speed to work together and even then, the mind and what they are after, usually wins. Poor girl, hope the recovery is smooth.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#89 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

We've got our fingers and paws crossed for Sky's recovery. Poor girl.
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#90 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

We've got our fingers and paws crossed for Sky's recovery.

Us too! :whistling:
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#91 JennyPlum

JennyPlum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

Oh my! So much momentum, Sky probably couldn't stop once she began barrelling after the squirrel. I sure hope she recovers well, how frightening! I'm glad it was the tree, and not the squirrel, that got her. Then you might have to worry about strange squirrel diseases!!!
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

#92 dobermidwife

dobermidwife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:11 PM

We are wishing Sky a speedy recovery.

Lee Ann

HQ Back in Time of Phesika   "Griffin"

HQ Prevailing Grace   "Gracie"

Waiting at the Bridge:

Stadtwald's Boston Red Coat  "Cody" 

Aradeena Ruark's Lacey  "Lacey"

Logan & Lexi    littersmates

SCD Up-C-Dazy  "Dazy"

HMDD Brody 

SCD Bella

We can judge a heart of man according to his love for animals.~~Immanuel Kant

#93 Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

Well it must be a Dobe thing, this penchant for chasing squirrels. Heidi has been quite distressed all summer about the squirrels in the yard. They've resorted to crossing OVER the yard by using the high wires. Still she watches them and runs up and down and barks. Last weekend, she apparently chased one into an area I have temporarily fenced off behind the garage. Too many things I thought they just didn't need to get into back there. Well she finally got so frustrated she pushed her way past the temporary fence. It had some points of the fence material sticking out. She got a boo boo from that. Finally decided that I couldn't get it to heal properly without Vet help so off to Dr. Karen's we went. Dr. Karen now calls us frequent flyers because Heidi has been a regular visitor! But she likes going there. The people are VERY nice and Dr. Karen gives out really tasty little dog cookies to good, brave Dober girls!
Jan

#94 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

We hope Sky is recovering quickly. Poor girl. My boy is the same way with squirrels. It reminds me of Chip and Dale with Pluto.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#95 Reidfamily

Reidfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts. Was kind of a rough nite but I expected it to be. She finally got up about 1:30 and yipped each time she took a step on her hurt leg but dad carried her down the deck stairs and she had a long pee pee. She whined with every breath exhale for over 10 hours! We don't think it was pain related but more trauma and scariness. She's a very sensitive soul.

The good news is she's napping now, the drainage has decreased and she's walking on it. She has eaten a couple of treats but no water yet. The hospital had already sent a report to her vet by the time I called this morning. She has an appointment to get her drainage tube out Wednesday. I'm going to ask if they have a "no squirrel chasing" pill.

#96 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

I hope your baby continues to get better. I hate to see animals in pain.

Mary and T

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#97 debl

debl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

Well it must be a Dobe thing, this penchant for chasing squirrels.
Jan

I watched my Ruby jump & pluck a squirrel out of a tree one fine winter morning. She jumped so high I thought she came down on the other side of the fence! She would also stand motionless for up to an hour waiting for them to climb down the tree unto the ground. They did. And, she pounced. She ended up with several squirrels.

Edited by debl, 27 October 2008 - 11:23 AM.

#98 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

My first dobe, Adonis was a squirrel stalker. I loved to sit on the deck and just watch him be very still and then move one leg at a time. But he was just too impatient. He would end up in a dead run and the squirrel never had gotten down from the fence or tree. Never caught a single one, poor baby.

Mary and T

Stanley Coren

#99 Reidfamily

Reidfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:17 PM

I was wondering about that. Max would just go, go, go after squirrels. Sky stalks them like a cat. She's got a lot of patience though we probably won't encourage her as much as before. We're blaming the whole incident on the stupid squirrel!

She's already negotiating the deck stairs and trotting a (little) bit without showing any signs of pain. It's amazing. She's loving all the attention. Her shoulder is still quite swollen but she's doing well.

#100 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:10 AM

Wishing a speedy recovery for Sky!!!

I let my Max out the other day because there was a squirrel digging holes in the yard to store food. He went out the door then proceeded to just look at us like "What?" He never did see the squirrel 20 feet away from him, who mind you, was still digging in the yard and ignoring the dog. The squirrel finally went into the neighbors yard and then he started looking for it. Sometimes I wonder about him. He can be such a doofus!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users