20 replies to this topic

#1 doubletrouble

doubletrouble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've been a little delinquent on getting new photos posted, and then the message board moved, but here they are!

This was Ella, post-ear repair (recall she was on the receiving end of an attack about a month ago). She was still coming out of the anesthetic in this photo, and looking terribly pathetic, so she was wrapped in a blanket taking a snooze on her chair. Her ear has since healed beautifully. The scar tissue is a little thick, but barely noticeable and I'm sure will flatten in time.

Attached Files

#2 doubletrouble

doubletrouble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

Here's Mr. Finn enjoying the warm weather this weekend - FINALLY! :)

It took us over a month to figure this guy out. Unlike Ella, he is not motivated by treats when he's outside, and would rather be running like a lunatic. So in the last couple weeks, I've incorporated obedience training with playtime, so that if he successfully obeys a series of commands, I'll throw the ball again. This way he also learns to pay attention while excited or distracted. He's doing really, really well. I don't always realize much he's improved in 2 months, but other dog-owners at the park have pointed out that he looks much more confident and attentive than he used to.

I've also started crated him during the day, which he's responded well to. We hadn't been, previously, as he hadn't shown any destructive signs. But a few days in a row of coming home to something chewed, I put an end to that before he wound up ingesting something dangerous.

I've been reading "Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Kilcommons, which also has been tremendously helpful. Highly recommended, even for those of us who figure we know it all :D

Attached Files

#3 doubletrouble

doubletrouble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:56 PM

And lastly, a shot of the two together, snuggling as usual :)

Attached Files

#4 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:05 PM

Nice pictures, I like the one of them snuggling. Thanks for sharing! :)

Larry

#5 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

They are great pictures. I'm glad Ella's ear turned out to be okay. :)

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#6 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:09 PM

Oh wow, I would love it if my two monsters snuggled like that!! What a great picture. So glad that Ella's ear healed up! :D

These are two very handsome creatures.

My first dobe wanted to run her fool head off too. She was an escape artist and would try to bolt out the door every time it was opened. She was so much like a greyhound when she ran. Tiki's a little like that too, but Tiki LOVES HER FOOD!

Thanks so much for the update and pictures. The two things I love the most : good news and pretty dobie pictures. :)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#7 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

Now those are some really cute pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Michelle & Rusty

#8 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

And lastly, a shot of the two together, snuggling as usual  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love this picture of them cuddling, how cute!!!!!!!

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#9 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:04 PM

:D Meg,
Your pics are great! Curiously, is cropping allowed in Cananda? Ella and Finn's best features are their soft, floppy, natural ears :) I ask because we do a lot of adoptions to Cananda and some have cropped ears. I wonder if people ask about them. Glad you're keeping your head above water with those two! Things will settle with time and they'll both surprise you with their manners. Thanks for loving them!

Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#10 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:50 PM

:D Meg,
? ? Your pics are great!? Curiously, is cropping allowed in Cananda?? Ella and Finn's best features are their soft, floppy, natural ears :) I ask because we do a lot of adoptions to Cananda and some have cropped ears.? I wonder if people ask about them.? Glad you're keeping your head above water with those two!? Things will settle with time and they'll both surprise you with their manners.? Thanks for loving them!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sticking my nose in ... please forgive me ...

Cropping and docking is allowed in Canada, however, when we were talking to breeders - more and more people are asking for natural ears. They will not leave tails natural as those need to be done at 2-3 days and it is impossible to choose a puppy for someone at that early age.

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#11 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

Thanx Stef. I forgot you're a canadian too :D I've had both "styles" and I love them both. I've always had at least one of each at the same time and it was nice because people could see the difference between the looks. The majority of people on the street prefered the natural look from my experience. As much as I like the velvety ears, I like a good looking crop too :)

Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#12 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:41 AM

Thanx Stef.  I forgot you're a canadian too :D  I've had both "styles" and I love them both.  I've always had at least one of each at the same time and it was nice because people could see the difference between the looks.  The majority of people on the street prefered the natural look from my experience.  As much as I like the velvety ears, I like a good looking crop too :)

Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People have told me that you get a much different reaction to them with uncropped ears. Allison mentioned it when we were talking about possible choices for us. (I have no preference. I think the cropped ears look nice, but the uncropped ones make them look hound-y and cute!)

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#13 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:22 AM

I find that people are less intimidated by the natural-eared Dobes. Funny, because, my two that are cropped are the sweetest of dogs, and my natural-eared boy is a little touchier about who he likes. Obviously the ears have nothing to do with the personality, just the perception other people have of the dogs.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#14 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:22 AM

Cropping is allowed in Canada. Actually, BJ had one of the best vets, that's known for cropping, do his ears. They were beautiful. Beej was cropped, Brody's natural...I get ALOT of compliments on Brody's big, natural floppy ears now... But Beej just had THE look of a gorgeous, big, black, male dobe, with his cropped ears. For being a suck, he intimidated EVERYONE with his look.. :)

#15 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:24 AM

Heather - I have also found that people are less intimadated by a Dobe with natural ears. I can't tell you how many compliments my beloved Niko use to get. "Oh, what a cute puppy!" I have pictures of her in my office at work, and you wouldn't believe the number of people that have said to me "What kind of a dog is that?" Had her ears been cropped, there would have been no question as to what type of dog she was.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#16 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:28 AM

Hi Meg,

Thanks for the update on Finn and Ella. I love the picture of them snuggling together. Another good book to read is "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell.

Cheryl
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#17 doubletrouble

doubletrouble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:15 AM

That's how I understood it to be as well -- you can request natural ears from a breeder, but they dock the tails right away as a matter of course. I have the feeling that Ella was the result of a home-breeding operation, and not through the CKC, because it's very ususal to see Dobies still with their monkey-tails, although personally, I prefer it. It makes me laugh to see her and Finn excited about something, and Ella's tail is whipping around while Finn's little nubbin is wiggling :D But then again, there is nothing more impressive looking than a properly docked and cropped Dobie. They really are magestic.

The general public, particularly amongst those who aren't dog-people, are simply uninformed and can be completely put off by a dog's appearance. Not many that I have run into even recognize that my two are Dobies ("I thought Dobermans were black?"). Even moreso with Ella because of her tail. One time I was stopped at a cross-walk with Ella, and a woman came up to us to pet her, saying what a beautiful dog she was and asked what her breed was. When I said Doberman, her petting hand literally recoiled as if the mere utterance of the name now made Ella dangerous! The last time Armin and I were looking for an apartment, after being turned down a couple times because I would tell prospective landlords that we had a Doberman, I ended up saying she was a Vizsla mix and then there was no problem! Hey, I might as well use their ignorance to my advantage :)

People really are strange though. Just the other day, I was throwing the ball for the dogs in the park, and a passer-by said to me, "Dobermans, eh? That's the one breed I'm scared of." "Did you have a bad experience with one?" I asked. "No, they just look mean." Ohhhhkaaaaay then. :)

Anyway, I can't tell you how great it is to see the training starting to pay off with Finn. He's so much cuter when he's listening :D And it's just so rewarding to know that I'm doing something right for this boy. He deserves it.

Take care all,
m.

#18 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:41 PM

ELLA & FINN our Valentine's ! :D

We are sooo glad to hear about them!!!!

Thank goodness Ella is doing beter!!!!!!!!!

We simply LOVE that picture of them snugguling!!!!!!!!! :P :D :D :P

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US UPDATED!! I can not tell you how wonderful it is to hear how you are doing!!!!!! :D :P

Keep up the great work on trying to educate the folks who: " just don't have clue"

The Gray's
(Cathy)
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#19 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:19 AM

Heather - I have also found that people are less intimadated by a Dobe with natural ears.  I can't tell you how many compliments my beloved Niko use to get. "Oh, what a cute puppy!"    I have pictures of her in my office at work, and you wouldn't believe the number of people that have said to me "What kind of a dog is that?"  Had her ears been cropped, there would have been no question as to what type of dog she was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what, Cheryl, I have had the same experience. Brady and Adonis have very similar personalities, both people pleasers. Adonis was even more of a people pleaser. He loved everybody with no reservations about anyone. My sister, who is not an animal person, was afraid of Adonis, even though he never did anything to merit that fear. He and Cocoa, my mixed girl would fight, and sometimes very viciously, but blood was never drawn. Now with Brady, she just thinks he is the sweetest, most loving dog she has seen. She pets him, and praises him, even though she knows that when Brady and Cocoa have fought blood has been drawn. She says that Brady is not a vicious dog (and he isn't). She has even gone so far as to call Brady a "she". The only difference in the 2 dogs are the ears-Adonis was cropped, Brady is natural. Strange, huh?

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#20 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

Hi,
Yes the book Brian Kilcommons has out is a wonderful one, I had one
years ago, loaned it out & never got it back. I highly recomend it.. :P
Has alot of problem solving things for the older dogs :D :P
As a breeder & long time dobe person as well as doing rescue, we have tails/
dewclaws cut at 2-5 days of age, & ears cropped from 7-9 weeks old.
There are alot of breeders who dont do any of that as it costs them more
$$$$ & they dont want to take the money or time to do it right. There was
a time not long ago that it was very hard to place a rescue dobe with long
ears & worse if they had long tail as well. I think that has changed alot the
last few years. It is true that the perception of the big mean "Guard Dog"
has ears/tail done. But the Doberman Pinscher standard that was written
when the breed was accepted by AKC & the other registrys states that they
have normally cropped ears & tail/dews cut.
But the temperment of the dog isnt changed by cropping/docking. Probably
50% is in the genes & the other 50% is how they are raised/trained & cared
for in their early life. :D The GREAT thing is they are such a forgiving
breed, that even when life treats them like crap, they are able to go on &
learn to Love & trust.....So whichever way you like them Long/Cropped
they are a dog that is a Heart Stealer :D & once you own one,
you dont forget it :P

JMHO
Daisy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users