10 replies to this topic

#1 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

:D Sanja finally had her first day of obedience class at Northfield Dog Training. It was pretty funny! Our normally fearless dobe was shaking as soon as she got out of the car. She whimpered and whined with her jaw snapping through practically the whole class. It didn't help that she had swiped and consummed a whole summer squash an hour before we had to leave. She had little interest in the treats that she usually loves and had terrible gas! :P If awards had been given she would have received "class whimp". Larissa reminded me that she never goes anywhere without her buddies, Tess and Isa (our other dogs) and this is true. It must have been an unsettling experience for her, but obviously something that was needed. I am confident that things will get better. We have a great shot a being voted "most improved" at the conclusion of the class!. :P

#2 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:15 PM

I think Larissa made a very astute observation! Tiki behaves very skiddish when Tango is not there. They are together almost all the time even though they normally keep their distance. She still depends on Tango to be the dominant one. She gets more barky and scared when Tango is not there. No question about it.

Hope it goes well and she passes with flying colors! :P

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:11 AM

Wish I could join you. Obedience is the best way to have one on one with your dog and bond super tight. I have 4 that need that badly. The few minutes a week that they are getting isn't enough to make real dogs out of them. I'm so glad you are doing this for her. It's worth the time and aggrevation in the end. She will make a good dog when she is an adult. All puppies are nightmares. Trust me. 7 to 10 years of age are the best. They have survived it all. Arda
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:31 AM

I am confident that things will get better.  We have a great shot a being voted "most improved" at the conclusion of the class!. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the spirit!!!!! :P

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:44 AM

I know its hard in the beginning, but it will be worth it :D
& since shes a pup, will help her with socializing with others. And give her
confidence to be on her own with Larrisa, they can be a great team..
Northfield is a beautiful training place. Who is the class instructor?
I have a friend Beth Bishop who has one of our dobes who did some
training there.
Good Luck :P Hang in there :P

#6 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:00 AM

Gail Dapogny is the instructer. I must be getting old (in spirit, of course) or something because all of Sanja's behavior didn't bother me much. I guess I am just confident that she is a great dog! Getting her as an older puppy has us a little behind, but not much. When my husband sees the pictures of the adorable litttle puppies he says "That's 6 months of H :P ll before you get to where Sanja is at!" And with Tess around, we always have a"problem puppy" in the house anyway! Keeps me busy! :P

#7 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:39 AM

Well best of luck to you and Sanja in class. :P I like going early if at all possible, it gives them a chance to settle down and see each other. I think it helps a bit.

Larry

#8 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:01 PM

As Arda said

Obedience is the best way to have one on one with your dog and bond super tight

. My first dobie and I went through a lot of training classes at different levels it was something we loved to do. Dakota and I have gone through three obediance classes and now we are going though Canine Good Citizen classes and take the test at the end. She knows where she' s going when she sees her treat bag. One of the assistants from the first to classes watched Dakota and I do a recall and a finish and she remarked on how well she's come along. She had done it perfectly. :P
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#9 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:31 PM

Glad to hear that Sanja has started obedience class. I think that she will be fine in class, given some time. Ms Cocoa graduates from basic training tonight. She does very well with certain commands and not so well with others. Of course this is my fault as I do not work with her at home as much as I should. :P

I have the most energetic pup in class and on top of being so energetic, Cocoa is very distracted by the various things around her including other dogs, people, scents, etc. I use a different reward in class verses when I work with her at home. She practically does cartwheels for pieces of hot dog. :P

I hope to get pictures of her in her cap and gown tonight. :D

Good luck and keep us posted on how Sanja is doing. :P

P.S. I recently discovered that Cocoa loves Charms Blow Pops. I have one in my mouth right now and she will not leave me alone. I can just see it now...Doberman from Lincoln Park holds record blowing bubble. Now wouldn't that be something! :D
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#10 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:00 PM

P.S.  I recently discovered that Cocoa loves Charms Blow Pops.  I have one in my mouth right now and she will not leave me alone.  I can just see it now...Doberman from Lincoln Park holds record blowing bubble.  Now wouldn't that be something!  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is quite an image!

Good luck tonight. Looking forward to seeing those graduation pictures! :P

#11 larissa

larissa

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:20 AM

thats funny! I can see it now:"DOG BREAKS WORLD-RECORD FOR LARGEST BUBBLE- Details at ten!"

Posted Image

Posted Image
:P
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed it’s the only thing that ever has!”
—Margaret Mead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users