8 replies to this topic

#1 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

Since I'm fairly new to owning more than one dog at a time, I could use some advice. Natasha is a small female, about 60 pounds. She's our rescue, we've had her for about 14 months, and she is a little over two years old. We got Logan a couple months after Natasha, when he was seven weeks old. He's now a little over 13 months old and approximately 80 pounds. They loved each other at first sight and they get along great, EXCEPT when they are outside together. Now that Logan is a lot bigger than Tash, he is getting very rough with her. I am reminded of those nature shows where you see the lion chasing down and killing its prey. She's running like heck, he catches up to her from behind, leaps on top of her, knocking her down, and biting her neck. I have also seen him body slam her with his shoulder. She won't fight back. But what's strange is that she rules the house. All she has to do if he gets too rough when they're inside is give a certain tone of growl and he goes running into another room.

He is not neutered yet but he will be. After reading all the latest research, I am electing to wait a few more months, until he has pretty much reached physical maturity. I'm not sure that will make much difference, though, because what I'm seeing doesn't really seem like mounting behavior. In the meantime, I can prevent this by either turning them outside separately or having him on a leash, but I would like to find a way to train him not to treat her that way. I'm wondering if this is a situation that would justify an electronic collar. I have had people tell me that it may make it worse, though. So I would be grateful for any ideas from you experienced multi-dog owners.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#2 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

I am no expert, by any means, but mine play ROUGH. I have seen what you described many times. Alley is the one running with Bud chasing. I have actually seen Bud send Al flying in the air by putting his shoulder down and ramming her full speed. Alley is the boss, always. If she didn't like it she would let Bud know, or at least that's what I assume. :) Sometimes they get scrapes, but they have never really hurt each other. We do use the word "ENOUGH" or "SETTLE" to mean cut it out. I mainly use that inside, but I'll use it outside if they run me down. ;) Does Natasha act irritated or nervous about it?

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#3 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Natasha enjoys the running around outside, chasing balls and chasing each other, but she is definitely not enjoying it when Logan goes into "predator" mode. I thought the same thing, that she would let him know when she'd had enough, but she'll only do that when they're inside. Outside, she's letting him bully her to the point I think he's hurting her. She got where she didn't even want to go out with him, and if I'm out there with them, she'll stand near me as if she's wanting me to protect her. When I started noticing that she had little scabs all over the back of her neck and top of her shoulders from him drawing blood, I said enough is enough, and stopped turning them out together. We've tried shouting "ENOUGH" or "LEAVE IT," but he seems totally deaf at this point. One hundred percent of his focus is on "attacking" her. Our yard is pretty large, and if he's not on a leash, I can't run fast enough to get to them to physically pull him off her.

The funny thing is, when Logan was still much smaller than her, I had to get after Natasha for playing too rough with him. But at least she did respond to me when I yelled at her to stop. I kept telling her at that time, "You'll be sorry some day!" So maybe Logan is just figuring it's time for payback!

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#4 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

NEUTER him ASAP!!! all that wait til maturity and stuff is old wives tales. get rid of that testosterone! It wont slow him down probably, but it will hopefully get rid of his behavior. I know mine play rough, but chevy will wait for tango to come outside and he will bark and attack at her. she doesnt want to go because of him. i have to fight her to go out and him to shut his big mouth and go away from her. i also use a squirt gun to break up squabbles. the main thing though is to get him neutered. he should have been done long before now.

sharen

#5 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

the clinic where i work, we neuter them by 4 or 5 months of age. unless you are going to breed them, there is no other reason to wait. waiting just gives him more time to develop bad habits. and not just humping.

#6 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

I second that. Neuter him. Rudy and Georgia were altered at 6 weeks of age. They are 10 now. Just lost the brother dog. NEUTER!
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#7 baron'sma

baron'sma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

I agree, definetley neuter him. Did wonders for Baron. Unfortunatley I fell on some hard times and had to wait until Baron was a year old. That was this past Feb. Its now June, and the combo of neuter and training, WOWZA :) If money is an issue I know a few places in your (our) area that are GREAT with the animals and would recommend them to anyone.

#8 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for your responses and suggestions. Neutering is definitely going to happen soon. He's in a class right now that I would like to finish up first. There's so much contradictory information out there now about the best age to neuter/spay. In fact, we had a discussion about it here on the boards a while back. I went back and re-read that topic. I'm sure the pros and cons will be debated for a long time by the dog community!

But I hope I didn't give the wrong impression about Logan. MOST of the time, he's a very good boy. He's very friendly toward people, other dogs, cats, horses, you name it. And he's doing great in his rally and obedience classes. He's got a few issues I'm working on, but I think most of it is what I would just describe as being a teenage boy!

#9 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

I'm in - neuter him asap! Waiting until he reaches physical maturity is only going to cause you more problems attitude wise! As far as the rough play - mine is the opposite - my 65pd. female - Lilo - reeks havoc on my poor male (Magnum) who is close to 85pds. She knocks him all over our yard and when he's had enough he lets her know as will yours. It is how they play and yes, just like Buddy and Alley - they get scrapes and what not and I am constantly picking off little scabs from Magnums neck from where she grabs him and tugs.
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users