189 replies to this topic

#21 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

Congrats to all three of you! :D And two really are twice the fun!

#22 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:01 PM

Congratulation Cheryl, Cocoa & Val. That is such wonderful news. I'm so glad that your babies are getting along so well.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#23 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:23 AM

I am sooo happy for you all!
There were times that I wondered why you didn't adopt another....because in talking and in your post you seemed like you were interested in adopting another.
Looking at the pictures I finally have my answer. You were just waiting for Val to come along! After reading all the post (the scars on his neck) he needed you! You will provide for him a life of love and happiness during his later years that every dog deserves and you will give him the memories that are wonderful enough to wipe out any wrong doing.

Congrats on your newest family member!
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#24 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

:Kiss:
Yahhhhhhhhh! I just wrote a post asking what happened to this guy!! I always thought he was sooooooooo handsome and dignified looking. Thanks Cheryl for taking him in, i get so afraid when i see older dogs on the site because no one wants the old guys or gals usually, they want youngens!

Love, Sharen and Eva :thumbsup:

#25 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

There were times that I wondered why you didn't adopt another....because in talking and in your post you seemed like you were interested in adopting another.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The expense of adopting another and the fact that my backyard is a diaster were the main reasons I hesitated. Oh, did I mention that I am a neat freak? :thumbsup:
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#26 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

And she didn't mention that she and her mother donaten two brand new crates to the kids. Two crates with no holes in the bottoms and the sides aren't even wired together. Thank you both so very much.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#27 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

Quick update......

Val is doing very well here. He is happy and is enjoying life. He likes to hide his bones in the backyard so well that even I can't find them. :Kiss: Although Cocoa enjoys his company, she wants to be with me. I'm sure that over time they will form a close bond. :hug: We walk 4 miles everyday. For being an older dog, he keeps up very well. :P He makes this squeling sound whenever he and Cocoa have a conversation. :P It's so cute. Val is an awesome dog. I sure did find myself a treasure. :thumbsup:
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#28 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

:Kiss: There's something about the older ones. :thumbsup:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#29 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:25 AM

Their bond will grow with time. Right now, Cocoa is adjusting to having to share her mommy time!

Raz and Kona spend a lot of time with each other and they are very affectionate with each other. They do a lot of kissing and hugging (with their head and necks). But they always come back for mommy time.

Val sounds like he is fitting in like a charm! I am so happy for all of you :thumbsup:
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#30 Chris

Chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:56 AM

Quick update......

Val is doing very well here.  He is happy and is enjoying life.  He likes to hide his bones in the backyard so well that even I can't find them.  :Kiss: Although Cocoa enjoys his company, she wants to be with me.  I'm sure that over time they will form a close bond.  :hug: We walk 4 miles everyday.  For being an older dog, he keeps up very well.  :P  He makes this squeling sound whenever he and Cocoa have a conversation.  :P It's so cute.  Val is an awesome dog.  I sure did find myself a treasure.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Cheryl
Boy does Val look like one happy dog, Congratulations, I ran into a former adoter that is intrested (She Adopted Brody about 5-6 years ago) She is intrested in Little John.
I will try to make it out This weekend so that you and the rest of the crew can meet Jazz junkers(My dober child). Plus I have a donation check from Metamora restorationsAnd remember you just can't have one!
Congrats to you and Coco

#31 Derek'smom

Derek'smom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

Your pictures make me cry with happiness for your sweet boy. My three girls were all older dogs when I took them in and I've loved every minute I've had them. Also, there's no guarantee that you'll have longer getting a puppy. The two dobes I bought as pups died from cardio at 6 and 4. After that I started taking dogs that were hard to adopt...and it is the best feeling to give them a well deserved happy ending. Congratulations to all of you...Diane

#32 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:34 PM

After that I started taking dogs that were hard to adopt...and it is the best feeling to give them a well deserved happy ending.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

-Arda Barber

#33 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:24 PM

ONE HAPPY BOY! :thumbsup:

Attached File  VAL.jpg   36.22KB   1 downloads

-Arda Barber

#34 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

Cheryl
He looks so happy.
Great picture.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#35 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

After an initial evaluation, Val and I are going to start in the beginners obedience class. Tonight, we listened to a "what to expect during class" talk. Val ate a few treats, showered the instructor and her husband with kisses, and we were given an assignment (focus) to practice for next week. :thumbsup:

Edited by CAB, 04 October 2006 - 08:50 PM.

-Arda Barber

#36 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

Took both kids to the vet this morning. Cocoa was due for her 6 month bordetella and Val had to have a stool check for his obedience class. I grabbed a twenty thinking this would be plenty for the stool exam and it ended up costing $30. :whistling: They did what's called a fecal centrifugation. It's suppose to provide more accurate results in the detection of intestinal parasites.

-Arda Barber

#37 Derek'smom

Derek'smom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

How is Val doing in his classes?? Derek has been to 3 out of 6 classes so far and is coming along great. It is helping with his shyness, and I'm hoping to do the CGC test with him this coming year. I'm so proud of him, I could burst! He loves the attention...and of course all the treats!!

Have fun together :whistling: Diane and Derek

#38 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:53 AM

Val goes to the vet today. He has a sore to the left of his rectum that just won't go away. He has had it since I brought him home. It must be bothering him cause he keeps licking it. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

-Arda Barber

#39 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:55 AM

How is Val doing in his classes??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Val graduated last Wednesday. He knows sit, down, stay, come and heel. We are working on front/finish and he does pretty good with it for a beginner. :flower: In class, we goofed around with the agility tunnel and he thought it was soooooo cool to run through it. :D

-Arda Barber

#40 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

Val graduated last Wednesday.  He knows sit, down, stay, come and heel.  We are working on front/finish and he does pretty good with it for a beginner.  :flower: In class, we goofed around with the agility tunnel and he thought it was soooooo cool to run through it.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Way to go, Cheryl and Val!!!!!!

Keep us posted on his sore, though. Poor guy!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users