168 replies to this topic

#21 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

Mary - any news about Titan? We have been thinking about you both here and hope all is going for the two of you! Give Titan big hugs from Magnum and Lilo and all of us here. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#22 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see dogs with one eye, missing limbs, hair loss, rough patches on the necks and legs and every single one of them has more beauty than the ones who are flawless on the outside.
Mary - I'm so sorry to here about Titan - he is a gorgeous boy. I only met him once but I do remember him - I remember them all - hard not to with all the love they pass out. When our boxer boy was diagnosed with his cancer and had a few tumors removed we were told he had about a year. He was with us for 3 pain free years before the one tumor came back and spread throughout his body. I would try a new vet in a different office and have him check it out before he goes through the paperwork from the other vet. When dealing with vets in the same office you usually deal with the same ethics and they really don't want to second their peers diagnosis. I know Hartland may be a drive for you but Dr. Gannon at Companion Animal Hospital is a very good vet - she is also very honest and caring. I make the 150 mile round trip drive to see her. She is also reasonable price wise too! You and Titan are in our thoughts and prayers here!

Thanks, Stacie. I am sorry to all that I am not responding very quickly to all of your wonderful advice and good wishes. My dad is battling cancer, and we just lost our step mom 2 months ago. So it's been hectic. I will keep Dr. Gannon in mind.
Anyone at the reunion at Arda's last year probably remember T, he was the one not playing nice with the others.

Mary and T
Attached File  Picture_268.jpg   1.89MB   0 downloads

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#23 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

Titan is beautiful and that woman is clearly a moron! I remember the first time I saw pictures of him I wanted him so badly. I thought he was beautiful and could tell that he was special. I was sad that he was adopted before I could get down there but I know he went to a wonderful home. You clearly love him more than anything.

I remember when Thor started to get older. Several people said wow he has a lot of gray hair or wow he is really old. I know they weren't trying to be mean but a little piece of my heart broke everytime I heard that. I already knew how old he was. I was thankful to have him, gray hair and all. He was perfect in my eyes and I was disgusted by anyone who saw differently. People would never tell anyone that there child is ugly. Why don't they understand it is the same thing to talk about our wonderful rescue dogs.

Titan, Lexa, Thor and all the rest of our dogs are and were perfect. Anyone who doesn't see that isn't worth our time!!

Titan and Mary you are in my thoughts.

Steph

Isn't it funny how you are drawn to certain people, or things, or dogs. I never really cared for the fawn colored dobes because you couldn't really see the rust color in them. But, love at first sight with T. Perseverance paid off for me with him. And I am so glad I beat ya to him.
And I thank Arda and all of you that made this possible.

mary and T

Edited by oreo5129, 15 July 2008 - 10:00 AM.

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#24 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

Hi Mary, I do not know if you remember me or not, but I am Tessa and Drakes mom, we met at the reunion last year. I haven't been here in quite sometime, but I had to respond to you and your breaking heart. You were a real sweetheart last year when we met, and I am sending you some prayers, as you and your Titan deserve them. I really truly hope things turn out well for you both. Thinking of you--Melissa

Melissa, of course I remember you. Many people on this forum have suffered so many heartbreaks and continue to be of support to others. Good people in this group

Mary

Stanley Coren

#25 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:12 PM

Once again, I have to ask everyone for their prayers for Titan. He has a lump that 2 vets are sure is cancer. It's being sent to MSU for diagnosing, but it looks bad for my guy. This just isn't fair to him. He is such a good boy. I can't stand that this is happening to him. It's so hard when you can't make your baby better. Not handling this well, I love him so much. All of you have experienced this heartbreak. I just can't believe this, with everything going on with him I have been paying very close attention to his back end and legs. I got him in quickly and it didn't matter. The fear is that it is a mast cell cancer which is very aggressive and fast growing. I'll keep you updated, just please pray for him.

Mary and Titan

Stanley Coren

#26 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Mary,

I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. We will keep you in our prayers.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#27 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

Once again, I have to ask everyone for their prayers for Titan. He has a lump that 2 vets are sure is cancer. It's being sent to MSU for diagnosing, but it looks bad for my guy. This just isn't fair to him. He is such a good boy. I can't stand that this is happening to him. It's so hard when you can't make your baby better. Not handling this well, I love him so much. All of you have experienced this heartbreak. I just can't believe this, with everything going on with him I have been paying very close attention to his back end and legs. I got him in quickly and it didn't matter. The fear is that it is a mast cell cancer which is very aggressive and fast growing. I'll keep you updated, just please pray for him.

Mary and Titan

Mary,
You and Titan are in our prayers. It was a little over a year ago that we lost our boxer to cancer. On a good note for you - he was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor - we had it removed the best it could be because it was entwined in his muscles and ligaments on his front leg - we were told he had a few months and we had a great year and a half with him afterwards. It's hard to see our babies go through all of these things but try to keep a positive outlook for him - it may be just what he needs. If you need anything don't hesitate to pm me. Lots of hugs and doberkisses to you both from our family!
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#28 dobbiehearted

dobbiehearted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:57 AM

Mary-- I hate to read this and everytime I see a new post from you-- I get worried.... hoping to read for a positive update or swing..

My toughest day of my life was when Lexa got her diagnosis.. even a touch more difficult than the day she left me-- just love him up take all the extra time and make him comfortable..... he knows you are loving him up a little extra if that is possible..

I can feel your broken heart spilling out thru your posts.. I am so sorry-- feel free to write me personally if you like just to vent.........or share what ever.. I had a few out here that helped me that way... it did soothe the pain slightly..

in my prayers too... again I am sorry to hear such pain because you love each other so much...
My Beloved Lexa (April 1998 --Jan 2008)
My Cherished Loki -SCD ( May 2008- August 2012) *
http://www.secondcha...ic=6378&hl=loki
Baby Koda

#29 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

Mary! What a huge heart you have. Please know that I DO care and will keep you in my thoughts as well, as I know you have me.
Bless you,
Melissa K. Kzoo

#30 Dobiegirl51

Dobiegirl51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

Mary, I am so sorry to hear this...I feel your pain all too well as we all do here! Know your not alone here.....everyone is hear for you.

Prayers being sent to you and Titan

:innocent: 's to you and Titan from us......Sally, Teddy, and Mr Logan

#31 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:48 AM

Mary,

We have never met personally, but please know that you, Titan and your whole family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry you are going through this. Like you said, so many of us on this forum have been where you are.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#32 JennyPlum

JennyPlum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

Mary,
My heart hurts for you, and although I have never met Titan, I know he means so much to you. I will keep him in my prayers and hope their diagnosis is wrong.
I took Cocoa (Jamie) to a vet down here (not WW Vet yet, I'm trying one closer to home first) and just today we got her bloodwork back. The vet called and left me a message and asked me to call him back. Well, I called and he was in a room with a patient, so I had to WAIT TWENTY MINUTES for him to call me back and the Vet Techs would tell me nothing. I was afraid Cocoa was terminally ill and maybe that was why someone didn't want her!!! This girl can sit, lay down, cuddle, come when called....why would someone give her up?!
And by the way, I was attacked in Petco with some salesman called a nutritionist who told me to buy Nutro products. Told me the same stinking thing about her coat. What the heck. What if he sold vitamins in Kroger and talked to parents that way about their children's fingernails or condition of their hair??!!
I did end up going with Nutro dog food, but only becuase the ingredients were high quality AND it was on sale at K9 (which is 1/2 mile from my work!! YAY!!). $15 for a HUGE bag :innocent:
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

#33 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

Mary,
My heart hurts for you, and although I have never met Titan, I know he means so much to you. I will keep him in my prayers and hope their diagnosis is wrong.
I took Cocoa (Jamie) to a vet down here (not WW Vet yet, I'm trying one closer to home first) and just today we got her bloodwork back. The vet called and left me a message and asked me to call him back. Well, I called and he was in a room with a patient, so I had to WAIT TWENTY MINUTES for him to call me back and the Vet Techs would tell me nothing. I was afraid Cocoa was terminally ill and maybe that was why someone didn't want her!!! This girl can sit, lay down, cuddle, come when called....why would someone give her up?!
And by the way, I was attacked in Petco with some salesman called a nutritionist who told me to buy Nutro products. Told me the same stinking thing about her coat. What the heck. What if he sold vitamins in Kroger and talked to parents that way about their children's fingernails or condition of their hair??!!
I did end up going with Nutro dog food, but only becuase the ingredients were high quality AND it was on sale at K9 (which is 1/2 mile from my work!! YAY!!). $15 for a HUGE bag :innocent:

So what did the vet have to say? I hope Cocoa had good news. My Titan is the most beautiful dobe in the world to me-even if he has very, very, very thin hair and other things going on. Pet Supplies Plus is the only pet store around Saginaw that I know of that sells Candidae and my guys love it. But I do get some stupid comments from one of the employees almost every time I go in. He tells me "you should give him a raw egg every morning that will take care of his coat" And under my breath I say, "Bite me"

Stanley Coren

#34 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:14 PM

I wouldn't mutter it under my breath - you are the customer and "the customer is always right!". Wouldn't he feel like the a$$ when you told him it was a skin condition and not poor nutrition - which should be obvious to him since you are buying good food and not the crapola stuff like most of the customers. Besides - he is technically not supposed to give advice on nutrition and what is and isn't good for your dogs' coat/skin. I know we aren't supposed to give any kind of "vet like" advice because they can come back and sue if it isn't right and they really do go to a vet. Even if we know for sure they have an ear infection or something real obvious. Please keep us informed of Titan - and he is the most beautiful fawn dobie! I could just kiss and hug and love on him all day!
-Woodrow Wilson
-Sigmund Freud

#35 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:49 PM

Hi Mary,

I'm so sorry to hear this. We'll be keeping you and T in our thoughts and prayers.

Cheryl, Cocoa and Val
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#36 JennyPlum

JennyPlum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

So what did the vet have to say? I hope Cocoa had good news. My Titan is the most beautiful dobe in the world to me-even if he has very, very, very thin hair and other things going on. Pet Supplies Plus is the only pet store around Saginaw that I know of that sells Candidae and my guys love it. But I do get some stupid comments from one of the employees almost every time I go in. He tells me "you should give him a raw egg every morning that will take care of his coat" And under my breath I say, "Bite me"

The thin hair....isn't that alopecia? I know Arda said that was common in blue dobies and maybe she said fawns too? I don't remember. Anyways, I know it can be a genetic thing and not a "oh, you need to give him a raw egg every morning" sort of thing.

The vet gave (ahem SOLD) us fish oil capsules that we break over her food everyday. Our whole kitchen smells like a fishery when we do it, but they say it works wonders. Her boo-boos will heal in time, no big deal if you ask me. I don't care about that, she is the sweetest, kindest little soul and we love her to pieces regardless of her silly insignificant boo-boos. They're like badges from all the sassy little fights she started with her barking fits!

But really, the diagnosis: her eyes are infected and are weeping some sort of mysterious yellow/green discharge. He wanted to talk to me in person to make sure she didn't have an allergic reaction to any of the antibiotics she had started taking. I told him that his wanting to talk to me in person was misleading-- I was very afraid something was wrong.
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

#37 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

Mary, Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Titan.

Check out this forum link from earlier. Not trying to frighten you, just keep this info in mind while feeding Nutro.
This was back in April and before.

http://www.secondcha...?showtopic=6206

#38 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

I was feeding Max Nutro to start out with and had such a hard time getting him to eat, and then with all of the recalls/problems I was hearing I switched to Candidae (from k-9) and he loves it. They switch the formula a very short time ago, but eased him into (mixed the old and new formulas) and he has done very well.

#39 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

I was feeding Max Nutro to start out with and had such a hard time getting him to eat, and then with all of the recalls/problems I was hearing I switched to Candidae (from k-9) and he loves it. They switch the formula a very short time ago, but eased him into (mixed the old and new formulas) and he has done very well.

My dogs are on Candidae and it did wonders for Titan's coat.

Edited by oreo5129, 01 September 2008 - 01:27 PM.

Stanley Coren

#40 CathieRenee

CathieRenee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Mary, Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Titan.

Check out this forum link from earlier. Not trying to frighten you, just keep this info in mind while feeding Nutro.
This was back in April and before.

http://www.secondcha...?showtopic=6206

Canidae is made by Diamond. They also have had their share of recalls.

When Casey was alive I tried to switch him from Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice to Innova, Canidae and Wellness. I tried these foods at different times through the years. He did not do well on any of them so I always put him back on the Nutro.
Zeus gets Eagle Pack Holistic Select and Nature's Variety, which is a frozen raw diet. Eagle Pack has their own manufacturing plant.

Cathie
Zeus - SCD Reigning Thunder, WAC, TT
Belle the Princess Cat
Casey - CTS Callisto's Eclipse, CGC, WAC, TT (05/14/96 - 02/15/07)

"Do not make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans or they will treat you like dogs." - Martha Scott

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users