9 replies to this topic

#1 Ben & Rebecca

Ben & Rebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

Greetings all:)
I was just reviewing the fundraising forum and see that you have lots of activities going on to raise money.
I am now doing fundraising for a living and would be happy to serve as an "advisor" if that's of interest. Unfortunately, being 4+ hours away, I won't be able to participate very actively-other than Ben & I plan to donate ourselves.
We have put together a "Beyond Bake Sales" manual for developing a fundraising program for organizations, like yours that are new to the fundraising arena. We'll mail you a copy soon.
The first step I'd recommend is a "direct mail solicitation" to all past adopters/visitors. To start, you might check out www.etapestry.com It's an online donor database to be used for donation tracking and is a great searchable database that can be used easily to generate donor lists/mailing lists/etc. It's free up to 500 names
I'd be happy to design a reply card and send to you as a .pdf to have printed on card stock to send with a solicitation letter. You'd also need a #9 (fits inside standard #10) envelope donors can mail back to you. Let me know and send me all your contact info if you'd like me to do that.
One other idea would be to meet with your local community foundation to find out what support they might be able to offer.
We'll mail the info soon...keep in touch:)

#2 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

The only problem I foresee is the outlay of money on our part. And of course, we would need a volunteer to handle the database. The fundraisers that we have done thus far haven't required expending any money on our part, which is nice because we just don't have the money to be able to do this. I'd be interested though in learning more about this program and how it works. :thumbsup: If Arda or the staff don't mind, you can send me the info. I'm afraid if you send it to the Swamp, it may never get looked at.

Edited by CAB, 10 April 2006 - 12:54 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#3 Ben & Rebecca

Ben & Rebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:29 PM

You're right...it would cost some $ up front...
I can help figure out how much, and how much you could expect to raise.
Can you tell me about how many people are in your current database-if there is one?

#4 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:50 PM

You're right...it would cost some $ up front...
I can help figure out how much, and how much you could expect to raise.
Can you tell me about how many people are in your current database-if there is one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We do have the ability to do a mass mailing to all forum members through the forum, although we only have 176 registered users...but word of mouth is a wonderful thing, and so is a call to "forward this message to everyone you know!" :thumbsup: Sending out such a mailing would be free for us, although we'd be limited to just a text message.

Soliciting like this is something that needs to be discussed by SCD staff members, first, though.

What sort of campaign did you have in mind, Rebecca?
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#5 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:12 AM

You know getting a database together of the SCD adopters is a really really good idea, I think. Arda would have to sort through them so that we wouldn't be mailing anyone that we shouldn't, but it may really come in handy.

I think it's worth a try to do it once just to see the kind of response that we get. I know the postage would be the biggest cost, but doesn't non-profit get a break on postage? That sounds familiar to me.

We might want to start with recent adoptions first because many of the older addresses might be obsolete. Just a thought.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#6 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

Do we need a license to solicit via mail?
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#7 Ben & Rebecca

Ben & Rebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

Do we need a license to solicit via mail?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you classified by the IRS as a 501C3 tax exempt organization?

The state requires organizations to obtain a charitable solicitation license if it solicits or receives contributions in Michigan in excess of $8,000 or if it compensates any person for fundraising services (incl. employees or independant contractors). You can learn more at www.michigan.gov/ag

This information was provided by the Grand Traverse Regional Community Foundation...as I mentioned, your local community foundation may be a good starting point for fundraising.

I like the idea of an email solicitation... that in addition to a "regular" mail letter would be great...
Visit www.malwarwick.com for lots of great ideas about direct mail fundraising.

#8 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

You can also get a bulk mail permit at the post office where the mail would be sent from. That would be whomever wants to transport all the items to the post office :thumbsup: It's a lot cheaper, and you put the permit number on the item of mail.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#9 Ben & Rebecca

Ben & Rebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

You can also get a bulk mail permit at the post office where the mail would be sent from.  That would be whomever wants to transport all the items to the post office :thumbsup:  It's a lot cheaper, and you put the permit number on the item of mail.
Linda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is a lot cheaper to go bulk, and cheaper yet if you are non profit and use bulk mail I think....the minimum # for bulk mail is 150-200??

#10 benrebecca

benrebecca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

Hi again...
It's been awhile since this topic was active...I'm still willing to help if you can use me.... I saw you are starting a new fundraising committee??
Let me know!
Thanks
Rebecca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users